Tuesday, 6 November 2012

Jesus turning water into wine is a pradox!



As a boy I grew up in a fairly conservative old school church, you know, one of those ones where you pull out the old hymnals along with the organ playing and the getting mixed up between the thee thou thine in the KJV. Luckily as I grew older the church I was at grew a bit more modern and weird new bibles were popping up all over the place. “… James 4:28 read from the message”, Aren’t all bibles God’s message? It was awfully confusing as a young boy trying to understand the bible and why there were things in there that made no sense and could cause a church to split. Thankfully this church was very good on doctrine and teaching what Christians should believe and that you should believe it because that’s what it said in their and if the pastor says so then it’s true.

It was kind of like Simon says; Simon says “touch your ear”. “touch your nose, oops Simon didn’t say touch your nose you out”. It was more like Simon says “the world was made in six literal days”. “Six day figurative time creation, Simon said literal not figurative your out” It isn’t until recent years that I started questioning this one but there has been one thing that I was always got confused about. Why did Jesus turn water into wine if Christians aren’t meant to drink alcohol? Seemed like a paradox to me…

If you are struggling to remember this obscure one then have a read of the following. It’s John Chapter 2 Verses 2-12:

2 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding.
3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”
4 “Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.”
5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”
6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.
7 Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”; so they filled them to the brim.
8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”
They did so,
9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside
10 and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now.”
11 What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
12 After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother and brothers and his disciples. There they stayed for a few days.


I figured it was about time that I actually looked into why the idea of grape juice may have been created when it clearly says “wine”. Or does it….? I guess we will hopefully know a bit more as we dig for the facts and figure out how we can get passed this difference of doctrines.

I found the pic at http://kidsbiblestoriess.blogspot.com.au/      Seems I'm not the only one thinking about this...

No comments:

Post a Comment